Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Classroom Teaching vs. Virtual Teaching: A Day in the Life



My day drastically changed when I went from being a classroom teacher to a virtual teacher.  I remember that, as a classroom teacher, my weekends were spent working.  If I didn't work, I was met with the consequences that following week.  When Sunday evenings rolled around, I had a feeling of dread, knowing that the next five days would be spent in a blur in my classroom, teaching and preparing to teach.  As a cyber charter school teacher, Sundays evenings are wonderful.  I spend the weekend without guilt hanging over my head and I am able to work by choice, not by the fear of the week hanging over me.  I am rested and ready to be a part of a collaborative environment on Monday.  I don't know that I can ever go back to being a classroom teacher and anyone who compares my two schedules will understand why.
 
Bricks and Mortar
  • 5:30am: Wake up, get ready, eat breakfast in the car
  • 6:45am: Set-up classroom, review lesson plans, breathe
  • 7:20am-3:00pm: Teach, teach, teach!  Scarf down lunch in 15 minutes or less, run to the bathroom in the 4 minutes provided between classes
  • 3:00-5:00pm: Breathe, prepare the class for tomorrow's lessons or attend meetings or call parents or contact administrator's about student issues
  • 5:00pm-7:00pm: Drive home, make and eat dinner
  • 7:00pm-10:00pm: Lesson plan, grade, get ready for bed
  • 10:30pm: Sleep

Cyber Charter
  • 7:00am: Wake up, get ready
  • 8:00am-8:30am: Sip on coffee and eat breakfast while I plan out my day's tasks
  • 8:00am-4:00pm: Teach, lesson plan, grade, attend meetings, collaborate with other teachers, contact families, take a half hour lunch with colleagues, meet with administrators about student issues
  • 4:00pm: Go home, make and eat dinner, do work if any not completed during the day, spend time with family, read and relax
  • 11:30pm: Sleep
Where else in the world outside of classroom teaching does a bell-to-bell schedule exist?  I couldn't eat when I wanted to (one year, my lunch period began at 10:30am), I couldn't use the bathroom when I had to, and I had to use a significant amount of time outside of my work day to complete tasks in order to ensure a productive and effective work week.  I rarely had time to collaborate with other teachers, meet with my administrators, or take part in professional development opportunities. 

I don't know what the answer is, but all I know is that, from my personal experience, I am a much better teacher because I am not living by the bell and spending most of my personal time on work.  I am a much happier individual because I have enough time during the work day but still choose to continue my work when I prefer.  I was completely burnt out while teaching in the classroom and I admire the strength of those who continue to stay in the classroom - I just couldn't do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment